Planning the Archer Shoot
Looking back at our initial ideas, the actual shoot looked a lot different than we originally thought it would. From the time we started planning in September to filming day in November, a lot of things happened and changed. But, as I’ve written before, sometimes things don’t go according to plan, and it is usually for the better.
When thinking about the location for the shoot, our high school seemed like the perfect place to film, and we were excited about the idea of filming in Archer’s beautiful central courtyard. However, because of the amount of construction on campus, Archer was not able to accommodate this activity, but still offered to support us in any way possible. We decided to film in Julie’s backyard instead.
When writing the grant, we were planning to have 8 girls total on our team. These roles included a producer, director, cinematographer, sound recordist and 4 interviewees. I initially wanted to reach out to members of different leadership club who could fill out applications about why they should be selected to be interviewed, but I did not want to add more stress to girls’ already hectic workload.
I sent out an email to my entire grade of about 80 girls, and I reached out individually to the girls who attended our small meeting in May. I also approached girls who I thought would be interested, like if they were in the film class or theater. Since this time of the year is really hectic for seniors trying balance schoolwork and extracurriculars with meeting college application deadlines, a lot of girls who were interested simply did not have the time. I still was able to put together a team of 7 other girls that were very excited about the project.
A few weeks before the shoot, Courtney Graham reached out to me about how LWSD! started working with a few consultants at Buzzfeed to help the organization increase their social media presence. She told me that they offered to connect us with YouTubers/social influencers who wanted to be interviewed about the women who inspired them. This was perfect timing because three of the crew members were no longer able to make it. Plus, when I told the girls on the team that we would have the opportunity to work with members of Buzzfeed/YouTubers, they were even more excited to be part of the project.
After finally figuring out my team members and everyone’s roles, I also worked with our film teacher to borrow the necessary equipment, like cameras, SD/video cards, batteries and tripods.We figured it would be best to use Archer’s equipment, since girls should be learning on the cameras that we have available to us at school.
What was once a crew of 8 shrunk down to 5, but I always had complete faith that we were going to make it work. With everything ready to go, I left school on Friday with the cameras and other equipment from our media space and prepared for our shoot on Sunday, November 5.